a blogger's nth attempt at sharing life and passions while still hiding behind her laptop

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

melissa's 23!

Today is the birthday of my best friend in 6th grade--Melissa Hewlett. She's now 23. I don't know if that's at all relevant, since I haven't seen her since...11th grade? I switched schools in 7th grade, and didn't see her much except at basketball games and stuff. I think my last Melissa-encounter was at a football game. My team most definitely won.

On the birthday train, my cousin Matt turned 8 (or 9?) a week or so ago. Get this--instead of having a normal birthday party, he asked my aunt if all his friends could bring books to the party "for the orphans". Isn't that sweet? Today I mailed him some suprise bonus books, Maniac Magee and James and the Giant Peach. These two were a couple of my favorites in 4th grade, along with Harriet the Spy (I totally wanted to be her). While I was purchasing my books for orphans, I invested in a copy of Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild. It's so relaxing to read for the fun of it, and to read something that is so simple! I think all of my pleasure-hormones come out when I read. ah. What were your favorite children's books growing up? Inquisitive minds long to know.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to say that Mr. Popper's Penguins was by far my favorite book growing up. I remember reading that book till the cover fell off. I also recall day-dreaming about flooding our basement steps so that my (imaginary) penguins could have a water slide into the basement, which would also be flooded of course and would have several floating islands for the penguins to rest upon.

April 04, 2006 7:57 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

Oh man, Manic Magee... I did about 74 book reports on that while growing up. I love that book, but favorite book growing up... well we're going to have to go with "The Westing Game". It's an awesome murder mystery slash puzzle story that rocked my socks off.

April 05, 2006 2:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never liked reading as a child. i didn't know what i was missing. i did love reading I'll always love you to my dear daughters.

April 05, 2006 7:39 PM

 
Blogger kate said...

Way to go, MOM! (See that, everybody? MY MOM POSTED ON MY XANGA!

April 06, 2006 12:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home