a blogger's nth attempt at sharing life and passions while still hiding behind her laptop

Friday, January 11, 2008

MY religion ain't a religion


Last night I began reading a book by Helen Keller that I must've bought at a library book sale for a quarter... it's a pretty mangled copy. Anyhow, I'm only a little ways in, but am already pretty confused at Keller's "religion," which she seems to purport as Christianity. I will keep an open mind as I continue through the entire book, but so far what I've observed is not really that faith in the slightest.

Helen Keller has long been one of my most admired historical figures, but I have to say that at first exposure to her own story of faith, I'm more than a little dismayed and saddened. Of course, even if her understanding of spiritual things was entirely incorrect (as many historical figures' have been), her contributions to society are still tremendous. Even so, however, I personally find that no number of impressive acts or heralded influences can parallel a personal relationship with the living God.

I've heard many times that the Christian faith is not a religion, but rather, a relationship. Religion is about man's acts and attempts to connect with a god. Christianity, in contrast, is the story and understanding of God's pursuit of humanity.

When all other faiths require action on the part of man, Jesus pursued humanity, and made a way for each person to know Him in spite of failings, and without a single deserved effort on his or her behalf, save the crucifixion of Christ Himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home