a blogger's nth attempt at sharing life and passions while still hiding behind her laptop

Sunday, September 10, 2006

if a body catch a body...


"But what I mean is, lots of time you don’t know what interests you most till you start talking about something that doesn’t interest you most." ~Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye

I finished reading The Catcher in the Rye this afternoon after having owned it since high school. As I'm sure most high school students have, I'd heard a lot about the book--it being a classic and all--but never actually read it or knew much about it. It's everything and nothing I expected.

I had heard (somehow) what the end was, but the whole time I read the book I kept wondering to myself, Was that really The Catcher in the Rye and not some other book? It wasn't until I read the last chapter that I knew for sure.

Mrs. Kim ;) and I were talking about it tonight before we watched some of the Colts game... I think I am not a detail person when it comes to reading literature, even though I'm (apparently, according to standardized testing) top-notch at comprehension. I didn't have any idea Jake was impotent, for example (The Sun Also Rises). Anyhow, I feel like there must be some deeper stuff than what I am getting from TCITR, but what it might be, I have no idea. I've checked out some online commentaries, but anyone who has any thoughts on the book should share them with me!

This pic is from Diana Bryan. Check out her stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home